The OEM Bicentennial Strategic Plan covers objectives for 2015-2020 and offers strategies in line with those outlined in the IU Bloomington Bicentennial Strategic Plan which in turn aligns with the university-wide plan. The Office of Enrollment Management dedicates itself to implementing these initiatives over the next five years leading up to the celebration of IU’s bicentennial in 2020, and the plan will serve as the cornerstone of future growth and innovation for the office and university alike.
OEM Strategic Plan
- We will recruit and retain high achieving and diverse students through combined efforts from OEM offices by extending IUB’s reach through:
- Collaborative development of strong and innovative K-12 outreach to promote pre-college engagement and the recruitment of prospective students.
- Exploring, evaluating and implementing third party prospect and application platforms to be where the students are and to streamline the application process for high school students.
- Devising, enhancing and implementing comprehensive transfer recruitment and application processing strategies to increase enrollment of qualified transfer students (Hoosier Link, non-traditional, military and inter-campus transfers).
- Maximizing our 6 C’s outreach resulting in an increase in the proportion of underrepresented students in our undergraduate programs.
- Implementing local and vended technology that is most appropriate to the advancement of our recruitment, marketing and processing needs.
- Implementing a comprehensive marketing strategy that promotes and celebrates the university’s accomplishments and promotes the IU Brand.
- Expanding and enhancing programming opportunities offered to students throughout their first year experience by solidifying partnerships with various campus offices and the Bloomington community to promote student exploration, engagement, leadership and success.
- Introducing innovation, and increasing the quantity and enhanced quality of communications to underrepresented prospective students and families, including digital advertising, website content and email and print marketing.
[IUB will esteem diversity of all kinds and ensure the full involvement of our global complement of students in our campus life, by: Recruiting and retaining a highly motivated, diverse, academically prepared and global complement of undergraduate and graduate students.]
- We will provide appropriate Financial Aid to reduce the debt burden for every financially disadvantaged student admitted to IUB to support student retention and success through:
- The support and facilitation of the successful creation and implementation of a Bicentennial Scholarship Program.
- The redesign of the Pell Promise Program to provide full tuition for all Pell Promise participants.
- The offering of the four-year Pathway Scholarships to students who will follow one of the pathways routes to graduate credentials at IU Bloomington and who received Achievement Scholarships as a beginner at IUB.
- Providing and promoting fundamental financial literacy educational opportunities, with particular emphasis during the student’s first year.
[IUB will ensure an affordable, engaged, global, residential experience, by: Reducing the debt burden for every financially disadvantaged student through financial literacy education and scholarships and fellowships raised through philanthropy to cover unmet financial need.]
- We will clearly communicate scholarship opportunities and financial aid information to increase affordability and student success through:
- Working with campus partners to improve the clarity of financial information across the six websites that contain major portions of financial content at IU Bloomington.
- The development and deployment of a fully-integrated Scholarship and Financial Aid brochure.
- The full redesign of Student Central website to provide students and families the necessary resources for making sound decisions on student success and affordability
- The improvement and expansion of self-service technology and tools (such as InteliResponse) made available to students and families in order to shorten response time and ease of use
[IUB will ensure an affordable, engaged, global, residential experience, by: Increasing the transparency and visibility of scholarship and financial aid information to increase success and affordability.]
- We will expand upon the enhancement of the first year experience for students entering IUB through the entire first year by:
- Designing and implementing an extended orientation and first-year student engagement program throughout the entire first year.
- Enhancing international and multicultural education programs for first-year students.
- Expanding arts and humanities opportunities for first year students.
[IUB will esteem diversity of all kinds and ensure the full involvement of our global complement of students in our campus life, by: Ensuring the integration of diversity, global empathy, and intercultural understanding at all points of shared student experience, such as orientation.]
- We will support campus initiatives to allow for increased flexibility and applicability of student records and registration processes by:
- Supporting the development and display of curricular and co-curricular learning activities by enabling the recording, validity and display of appropriate experiential/engaged learning activities on the student record and adding them to the student transcript.
- Adjusting how registration and enrollment are conducted for beginning students (including international students) to place them into courses and experiences that best match the requirements for their academic objectives.
[IUB will enhance academic and life success for our students through excellent, technologically enabled academic and career advising, by: Developing and adopting best practices and metrics for academic and career advising to support student completion, success, and life and career goals.]
- We will examine the structure of all student-facing services to assure the tightest alignment between those services, the academic mission, and student engagement by:
- Identifying space to provide a welcoming and hospitable area for prospective and current students and their families that reflects appropriately on the stature of Indiana University, and continue to reevaluate and reconfigure current space to meet current and future needs.
- Co-locating front facing Student Central (Registrar, Student Financial Aid, and Bursar) in the same space as Admissions front-facing services.
- Collaborating with appropriate campus partners in the expansion of IUB’s offering of one-stop services for the benefit of the students (e.g. Parking, ID Services).
- Ensuring the integrity and accountability in OEM operations as shared services practices are fully adopted by the campus and the University Administration.
[IUB will ensure that all student-facing services are tightly aligned with the academic mission and the goals of this strategic plan.]
- We will promote organizational and operational efficiencies in a multifaceted approach in order to promote internal effectiveness while maintaining excellent stewardship of our resources and delivering the highest level of services to our constituents by:
- Streamlining administrative and fiscal/financial functions to obtain organizational efficiency when possible while maintaining effectiveness and sustainability.
- Working with SCU partner offices, including the Bursar, Registrar and the Office of Student Financial Assistance, to find more effective and efficient processes and deliver the highest level of student services possible.
- Establishing standard benchmarks, best practices, and reporting models to bolster and assess current and potential services and efforts.
[IUB will ensure decisional support through the continued integration of such support in the Budgetary Affairs and Campus Strategic Initiatives unit.]
[Leverage IU’s scale wherever possible to create greater educational opportunities and to generate efficiencies in new areas. Scale should be used to permit the concentration of resources on strategic priorities, to create broader access to resources available across the university, and to exploit economies of scale.]